I know that:
- Lectures don’t help people learn - participation and engagement does.
- Learners deserve more than information. They deserve to have their needs at the heart of their training and they deserve tailored support to help them accomplish their goals.
- Organizations, consultants, facilitators and coaches who demonstrate a deep understanding of what learners want and need and have the ability to get them there are rewarded for their efforts.
You know that too. That’s why you’re here.
You know you can do more with your offerings but you’re probably overwhelmed by how long it takes to develop a workshop, course or book that represents your brand and delivers results.
Designing and developing amazing learning materials and experiences is time consuming - especially if it’s not the main focus of your work. It's easy to underestimate just how much goes into creating impactful training - but we all know what it is when we experience it.
Designing impactful learning begins by taking a learner-centric approach.
Sometimes experts can’t see from a novice’s perspective. They approach their area of expertise from their own understanding forgetting what it was like to not know what they know. This is one of the main reasons working with me will be helpful.
My job is to come in with a beginner’s mind and help you gain a fresh perspective. By getting out of your own world and into theirs, it becomes much more obvious how you can build skill, support change and not just deliver information.
I find pretty much everything fascinating and fascination is what I love to evoke in learners. As a kid, I’d pour over books on the solar system or human anatomy or reincarnation or anything else that didn’t have a simple explanation. My attention is captured by any topic that requires me figure out how all the pieces come together into a whole. I’ve always been this way, which is probably why I can jump into any topic and write a course about it a few weeks later.
My goal is to create epiphanal learning experiences because I know the power epiphany has. That might seem like a tall order when we’re training or coaching on something like project management or productivity but trust me, there’s always a way to evoke revelations and eureka moments, no matter what the topic.
I’ve been designing, developing and delivering impactful training for almost 20 years now. I’ve worked on so many courses, about so many topics, with so many teams, for so many learners that I can proudly say I’ve developed a hard-earned set of instructional design chops.
I’ve taken all the wrong turns, recovered from all the mishaps, and avoided many of the pitfalls. I get budgets, I get constraints, I get deadlines, and I also get how to take what you’re best at and turn it into something wonderful.
Some people think they need to know exactly what they are trying to do before they approach me but that’s not the case at all. I’m here to help you decide what the best direction is. I’ll add my experience to yours and together we’ll decide what’s realistic for you. My job is to help you figure out what you’re after and then map the best route to get you there.
- BA in Management Studies, Athabasca University
- MA in Adult Education, Athabasca University
- 20+ years running four of my own businesses and helping countless others start and grow theirs
- Founded a nonprofit learning network for foreign entrepreneurs in Berlin, Germany
- Established first of its kind entrepreneurship program for creative entrepreneurs in Toronto, Canada
- 10+ years teaching in post secondary environments both online and in the classroom
- 10+ years’ facilitating in the private sector and community settings
Coaching and Psychotherapy Qualifications
- Graduate of three-year psychotherapy and leadership program and the Gestalt Institute of Toronto
- Graduate of six-month life coaching program at the Centre for Applied Neuroscience
- 10 years coaching executives and professionals on communication skills
- Four years coaching creative people starting small businesses
- 20+ years managing projects in digital and analog environments
- Five years consulting in organizational development
- Three years managing programs in nonprofit sector